Twitter Deficit Disorder. Think you have it?

I hate tweeting! Ok so maybe Hate is a strong word. Lets just say I strongly dislike tweeting. It is part of my daily activity, but I absolutely, strongly dislike it.

I find it annoying when I see and hear a constant stream of tweets, bleeps, and dongs come up on my computer, distracting me from focusing and getting work done.  It’s an assault to the senses. Yet, there is this strong impulse to make sure I am not missing anything. Because if I don’t stop what I am doing to read these tweets, and blogs, and feeds, there will be 100 more things for me to catch up on later in the day.

And then what happens? I call into our team meeting, and I am the only one who did not read, like or re-tweet that post from MR. Klout! And then, I am out of the loop. Oh My! Don’t want that to happen, do I?

(editors note - if you suffer from similar fears then get a free trial to SocialEars HR Edition and never miss another important HR social conversation).
Errrrrrr, where does it end? I feel like all of this white noise that pops up on my desk each day makes me feel like I have ADD.

Then again, maybe I do. I looked up the definition of ADD and this is what I found.

attention deficit disorder
n. Abbr. ADD
A syndrome, usually diagnosed in childhood, characterized by a persistent pattern of impulsiveness, a short attention span, and often hyperactivity, and interfering especially with academic, occupational, and social performance.

Noise to Signal Cartoon

Hummmm…. ADD is a possibility. But I am thinking that social media and more importantly Twitter is more to blame for my lack of focus these days. Maybe there should be a syndrome called Twitter Deficit Disorder. It would probably have a definition like this:

Twitter Deficit Disorder
n. Abbr. TDD
A syndrome, usually diagnosed in social circles, characterized by a persistent pattern of impulsiveness to share everything and anything online, a short attention span, the need to keep up with your social network on a second by second basis, and interfering with the occupational, and social performance.

Do you think you have TDD?

Please feel free to comment, share, like, re-tweet, or follow me. (Yes, I see the irony)

Post written by HRmarketer staff member, Shelley Marsland.

Follow her on Twitter!/ShelleyHRM

Labels: , ,