Who's job is PR anyway?

It is amazing how one comment can get you thinking about something that you do naturally and for totally different reasons. You have no idea that the end result could very well be as valuable as why you do it in the first place. Confused yet?

As I was attending the recent SHRM Talent & Staffing Management conference in San Diego, a follower on Twitter commented “Are you in PR at HRmarketer.com? because I thought you were in Sales.” I thought that was an interesting comment because “who’s job is PR anyway”.

I like to support and assist the clients/members of HRmarketer by promoting their press releases and content news beyond the HR VendorNews site that we have. I also look beyond other industry news and push that out as well. Isn’t that what Social Media is all about? I may be the VP of Sales, and a dedicated and enthusiastic member of the HRmarketer team, but I am also proud and enthusiastic of my client’s news. Should that kind of promotion be left to my PR team? Do I allow them to decide what is valuable news? What about my opinion?

In a company of our size, it is not very difficult to encourage the full team to take up the thrilling ride of social media, and to do it in a way that gives the collective message of the company. AND it should be the job of the sales team, who works with, and understands the differential aspects of their clients to act as a PR or voice for our clients.

I know that there are some truly difficult decisions made by all companies nowadays (wow that sounds old fashioned), but especially large companies, to decide if the employees of the company should be using social media to promote their company. This is very hard to “police” what message a company wants to promote, and without guidelines and boundaries, this can be difficult to manage. That is why we now hear of titles like - "Social Media Guru", "Online Influencer" and Laurie Reuttimann's new title with StarrTincup - Principal HR and Social Media Strategist (great title by the way).

Do you agree with me? Is PR a job that should be kept in a silo? Should sales take responsibility for this kind of promotion?

I was pleased that David made this comment to me, because it tells me (and luckily my CEO heard it too) that I am doing a damn fine job for my clients and HRmarketer.com.

Labels: , ,