Take note: social media pays dividends if you're paying attention.

When I wrote the recent post on self-service customer service, I didn't think I'd run into a wall of shame and failure so soon.

But I did.

I had an online subscription to Adobe PDF Creator that I wanted to cancel. So first I went into my account thinking that I could cancel right there.

Nope.

Then I scoured the self-service sections to see if I could figure it out.

Nope.

Then I called customer service. On a Saturday. And got nowhere. They said to call back Monday.

I was so friggin' frustrated that I sent out this tweet:

Then I forgot about it, knowing that come Monday morning I'd be calling them again to raise heck.

Then I got this response early Monday morning:

Shortly thereafter thanks to Ed and the others at @Adobe_Care, my subscription was canceled.

Via Twitter.

Not on the phone. Not online in a self-service portal. I may even be back someday because of this customer service recovery.

Call centers and online self-service portals take note: social media pays dividends if you're paying attention.

Call centers and online self-service portals take note: please pay attention. And make it easier on your customers the first time.

Seriously, we've heard the success stories of Best Buy, Comcast, Ford, and others using social media for customer service. Closer to home Monster has done a great job as well.

At HRmarketer.com, we're hearing from more and more of our own customers and influencers via social media networks, for better or worse, and are working to respond just as quickly as we've done for years via the phone and email.

Like marketing, customer service is hard work, so work hard and get it right the first time across all touch points.

Post by Kevin W. Grossman (join me on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn - and now join HRmarketer on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn)


Labels: , , ,