What HR Vendors Can Learn From Jet Blue

I've been flying a lot recently and whenever I have a choice, I fly Jet Blue. It's actually enjoyable to fly Jet Blue and I look forward to each experience. I'm the ideal customer because I share my positive experiences with anyone who will listen, sometimes to the point of being giddy about it. Now I'm blogging about it. (I know I've already been directly responsible for bringing in new Jet Blue customers!)

What's fascinating about Jet Blue is that although they came to market as a low-cost airline, based on my flying experiences with them, I'd actually pay a premium to fly Jet Blue over any other airline. And I know some of my business colleagues feel the same way. Yes, Jet Blue is that good. Better than any other carrier in the sky - period. So what makes Jet Blue so good and what can every HR vendor learn from Jet Blue? Here are five reasons/lessons:
  1. No Nickel and Diming Me: When I fly Jet Blue, I get free headsets and I get free wireless. I have never once been given free wireless at United, American or any other major carrier. Never. It's a big deal to me and I seek out and give my business to companies (from coffee shops to hotels to airlines) who give me free wireless. What services can you "include" in your offerings that attract and build stronger customer relationships?
  2. Uncomplicated Pricing: When I buy tickets from Jet Blue, I don't have to worry about Saturday stays and I don't get different prices depending on what web site I am on. Jet Blue has fixed one-way fees and an uncomplicated way of presenting them. It's so simple you wonder what the heck the other airlines are thinking. Look at your products/services – can a total stranger with no HR experience understand your proposals and pricing? Is it fair? Do you offer too many variations at different price points?
  3. Outstanding Customer Service: My bag was once lost on a Jet Blue flight and it was actually a good experience! A service representative personally took me to his office, made some phone calls, and tracked the bag down. It was actually on the airport grounds and he had someone bring it to me within 15 minutes. When things go wrong with your product/service, do you take a personal interest in solving the problem for your customer? Do you leave the customer feeling good about it?
  4. Exceptional Customer Experience: Every single Jet Blue seat has its own TV with 30+ channels. To watch a premium movie (and you have a choice of 4-5), simply swipe your credit card. No need to wait for a flight attendant to give money to, who never has change for a twenty-dollar bill anyway. How easy do you make it on your customers to make changes? Do they have to navigate through a burdensome phone maze? Do customers have to wait to talk with a customer service rep for things they should be able to do themselves?
  5. Simple Implementation: When I check-in at Jet Blue, I do not have to wait in lines. I get my ticket from a computer and walk directly to the gate. It takes me about three minutes to check-in. How easy are your services to implement? Have you made it easy on the customer?